Go Middle Eastern with this distinctly sweet and spicy dessert. Honey cake is a part of Jewish culture. It is traditionally served at Rosh Hashanah (the Jewish New Year) to symbolize wishes for good fortune. You can make this cake too for Christmas, Mother’s Day and other special occasions. Here are the steps.
You will need these for preparing the ingredients:
* 9x5x3 inches loaf pan
The ingredients for honey cake are:
*1 3/4 cups of flour
*1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
*3/4 teaspoon of baking soda
*3/4 teaspoon of salt
*1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
*1/2 teaspoon of ground ginger
*1 cup of honey
*2/3 cup of vegetable oil
*1/2 cup of strong brewed coffee
*1/4 cup of brown sugar
*2 tablespoons of whiskey or bourbon
Continue to the next page for the complete honey cake preparation directions.
Here are the complete directions for preparing these delicious honey cakes. They are especially good to eat while they are smuthered with real butter while they are still warm.
How to make honey cake:
1. Put some grease on the loaf pan and dust it with some flour.
2. Preheat your oven to 177 degrees Celsius or 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
3. In a small bowl, put in the honey, vegetable oil and coffee and beat them well.
4. In another bowl, put in the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, ground cinnamon and ground ginger and whisk them well.
5. Beat the eggs thoroughly, gradually adding the brown sugar. Make sure that they are mixed well. Add in the honey mixture and whiskey and continue beating. Then add in the flour mixture and beat until everything is well blended. If you will be using an electric mixer, mix the eggs and sugar at high speed for 3 minutes then mix at low speed for a minute upon adding the honey mixture.
6. When you’re done with the batter, pour it into the loaf pan and bake it for 30 minutes. After this, cover the pan loosely with aluminum foil and continue baking about half an hour more. When the cake is done, it will pull away from the sides of the pan. You can test if the honey cake is baked enough by inserting a toothpick in the center; the toothpick should come out clean.
7. After baking the honey cake, allow it to cool for about an hour. Slice through the sides of the cake and invert it, then turn it back on its right side and allow to cool. Voila! You’ve just made a honey cake. This cake is best served about two days after baking as it becomes moister. Before serving, cut the cake into squares.
You can try giving honey cake a twist by using espresso and whole wheat flour instead of ordinary flour; you can use rum or brandy instead of whiskey or bourbon for the spirit. You can also add lemon juice, or two tablespoons of rose water to the honey mixture to make an even more exotic blend. Also, try adding some fruit preserves and walnuts for a crunch.
We invite you to share this honey cake recipe with your friends on Facebook and explore the many other recipes available here on Recipe Corral.
Source: Article By Joey Caparas