Amazing White Bean Chili Recipe from Scratch
Hearty stews and belly-warming soups are coming out of the kitchens; frost is sparkling, and winter jackets are coming out of hiding. Families are craving slow-cooked, savory meals that yield health benefits and leftovers.Delicious, savory winter-recipe ingredients that will surely satisfy are white beans and Oso Sweet Onions, an onion grown at the foot of the Andes Mountains. Onions are not only believed to be a cancer preventative, their low-salt, low-fat health benefits are the proactive equivalent to superhero powers. Onions have 25 compounds that lower blood pressure and cholesterol, prevent thrombosis, inhibit strokes and battle heart disease, says the American Heart Association.Plus, the antioxidants and flavonoids found in onions don’t lose their potency once cooked. This makes them ideal for slow-cooked recipes. They add a punch of flavor and a whopping serving size, making them an affordable luxury during the chilly winter months.This is a delicious and healthy change from your typical red chili recipe.
- 16 0z White Beans (w bag)
- 3 tbsp Oso White Bean Chili (Or to taste)
- 2 Oso Sweet Onions
- 1/2 cup cup Garlic (chopped
- 1 cup Cup celery (chopped
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1/4 cup cup Olive oil 2 each
- 2 each large green mild chili (deseeded)
- 2 quarts chicken stock or water (to cover)
- 2 tsp Cumin
- Saute onions, garlic, celery, chilies, chicken/turkey for 10 minutes on medium heat. Add half of the chicken stock. Then add salt, pepper, oregano and cumin and simmer for 45 minutes. Then adjust with the remaining chicken stock. Combine all ingredients in crock pot or large heavy-bottomed pot, bring to a boil and then simmer overnight, or 8 hours.Puree 1 cup beans for a thicker chili and serve. Garnish with shredded cheese, fresh cilantro, tarragon or basil, chopped Tabasco peppers, raw chopped Oso Sweet onions or hot sauceFor info about sweet onions, visit www.ososweetonions.com.